Translate

Friday, August 9, 2013

Resources for the Pregnant, Scared, & Clueless


These are some of the resources I have come across and most used while being pregnant.  I thought I would compile them and share.  I’m a big believer in sharing knowledge.  After all, knowledge is power.  I’m sure over the next few months I will be adding to this list.  In fact, I have a few books waiting for me at the library.  If you have knowledge to share please do so in the comment section below or message me and I can share the information.

Apps

Baby Center
  • Gives weekly updates on your body and the baby
  • Gives daily reminders or tips
  •  Has a Kick Tracker

What to Expect
  • Has a tracker with all the essential information:
    • How far along you are, what trimester you are in, the baby is as big as a ________, a countdown, and your estimated due date.
  • Gives weekly updates on your body and baby
  • Gives daily reminders or tips

The Bump
  •  Mainly I use this app for the “Is it Safe” section.  Especially in the first trimester I kept asking “is it safe…”

 Calculators

Due Date --  I love this one because it list everything by date. 

Weight Gain

Checklists


What to pack



Breastfeeding Links

La Leche League
http://www.llli.org

Breastfeeding Inc.

Kelly Mom

A friend recently sent me this link for a recipe that helps you produce milk
http://www.readexpress.com/2013/07/cookies-for-milk/

Baby Registry

Amazon.com
  • Sometimes a little cheaper
  •  With Amazon Prime you can get free shipping
  • Also a good resource for your pregnancy needs like prenatal vitamins, sea bands, preggo pops, and ridiculous wrap-around-my-entire-body pillows

Babies R Us
  •  Can build your list online or in the store
  • Good for those who don’t like to bye online
  • Great return policy
  •  You get a nice little goodie bag and free bottles of water when you go into the store to register

Etsy.com
  • Unique gifts
  • Support small businesses
  • Personalized gifts
  •  Downside:
    •  Limited quantity of items so when they sell out the item is no longer
    • They only have a wedding registry so you have to use that.  It might confuse people a bit.

Other Useful Links

Office on Women’s Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services


US Department of Labor/ Women’s Bureau
http://www.dol.gov/wb/
  •  I’ve been fortunate to have no issues in the work place regarding parental leave or nursing, but I have had other women ask me questions.  This is a resource I use to point them in the right direction.

Books

What to Expect When You are Expecting
By Dr. Heidi Murkoff

A Holistic Guide to Pregnancy and Child Birth: Magical Beginnings, Enchanted Lives
By Deepak Chopra, M.D.

Movies

The Business of Being Born

What to Expect When you are Expecting – not really informational, but a good laugh is sometimes necessary, and trust me, you will be able to relate.

2 comments:

  1. This helped us make a decision on a car seat:

    http://baby-car-seats-review.toptenreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby Connect is a pretty indispensable app once she arrives. Track everything you do- diapers/nursing/sleep/eating/shots/etc.

    ReplyDelete