Translate

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pre E


During this pregnancy I have read everything I can.  I have eaten healthy. I have watched my weight to make sure I’m gaining just the right amount.  I have stayed hydrated.  I have remained active, but stepped back when I was doing too much.  I have done everything I was supposed to do.  In spite of my dedication and my doctor’s A+ report card during visits (I’m an over achiever), I was diagnosed with preeclampsia. 

There are risk factors, but the actual cause of preeclampsia is unknown.  It can lead to premature birth, low birth weight and death in the fetus.  For the mother it can lead to liver or kidney problems, seizures, stroke and death.  Obviously, hearing this news was nerve wrecking.  Especially when the cure is delivering the baby and the placenta.  At 31 weeks, we weren’t quite ready for that.  The hospital doctor suggested we just take things day by day and monitor baby and me as closely as possible.  I count kicks (they haven’t slowed, she’s an active little one).  I take my blood pressure twice a day.  I try to make sure I rest when my body tells me to.  We also go to the hospital every three to four days for a non-stress test, where they monitor the baby and her heartbeats with movements and contractions.  They do ultrasounds once a week and we have doctor visits once a week.  This experience has reminded me, I can’t control everything, but I sure will do everything I can to make sure my baby is safe. 

Today, I left the hospital tired.  We got there at 5pm, right after work, and left around 8pm.  I was hungry and tired, and I complained about having to go back in a few days.  My husband reminded me how blessed we are.  We were leaving, and the results showed a healthy baby.  He said, “We can come here as often as they want us to, as long as we keep getting results like that.”  He was so right.  We are grateful for the great care I am getting and that so far a diagnosis has been the worst we have experienced.  As I said in my last post, “It’s going to take a lot of love, faith, and humor” to get through the coming weeks.  And when I lose my way, when I am too tired and hungry to be positive and up beat, on those days, I have my husband to remind me of what is important, and an active baby to remind me to have faith.   

No comments:

Post a Comment