Translate

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Gratitude is the Attitude


3D/4D Ultrasound from
goldenviewultrasound.com


I have been feeling incredibly blessed the last couple of days.   Maybe it was seeing my baby at a 3D ultrasound or maybe it is hearing the stories of struggle other expecting parents are having, but I feel so grateful for the good and the bad that has come with this pregnancy.  Sometimes it is good to just take a moment and reflect. 

I’m grateful for morning sickness.  Many believe that morning sickness is the result of hormones.  Women who have morning sickness are less likely to miscarry.  It is unusual for a woman to have morning sickness as long as I have, but knowing my hormones are working to help this baby grow and to prepare my body for her birth is enough to make me grateful.  I’m also grateful, because they say morning sickness is worse with a girl.  I’m proud to be the mother of a powerful girl.
Our growing baby girl

I’m grateful for the pep-squad. I must be looking very pregnant these days, because throughout the day I find I’m getting little mini pep talks.  They range from “you go girl” to you "look beautiful." When you barely recognize the body staring back at you in the mirror, it is nice to know you still look gorgeous (or that people care enough to lie to you).

I’m grateful for the question “where are my feet?” My belly is protruding so much I can no longer see my feet.  But I know this means my baby is growing each day.  As much as I fear pushing her out, I want her to be a healthy weight.  I also notice that when I can see my feet, they are huge and not really the feet I remember.  One of the causes of this is a hormone that loosens the hips for labor.  I have a feeling I’m going to be especially grateful for that hormone in the near future. 

I’m grateful for my commute to work. The short walk to the train is now a long walk.  The train ride is hot and exhausting.  The baby moves the entire ride.  But I’m so grateful for that commute, because it means I have a job and I’m still well enough to make it in to work day in and day out. 

I’m grateful for the stairs to our second floor apartment, because at the top of that long climb I have a safe and comfortable home.  I also have a little nest to prepare for my baby. 

I’m grateful for dirty dishes.  No matter how hard it is to get motivated to wash them, they mean I’ve had nourishment to give to my baby.

I’m grateful for a new love of my life…sorry Hip Hop, she’s already stolen my heart!

She is smiling, because she knows
she has stolen my heart (and her daddy's too)

1 comment: