Translate

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Ears pierced: It’s a girl thing (Part 2)

In September of last year, I took a break from my pregnancy complications to discuss ear piercing in "Life is full of barbaric customs." --Vada Sultanfuss. My husband was opposed to doing something permanent to my daughter’s body without giving her a say and I wanted to go with tradition.  In our family baby girls get their ears pierced as newborns.  My husband’s view was much more feminist than my traditional view. 

My daughter did get her ears pierced recently and my husband held her as it happened.  We decided to go with tradition, and I have to say the moment though petrifying for me, as a mother, could not have been more meaningful. 


Recovering
On my birthday we took my daughter to get her ears pierced and in attendance, besides her father and me, were two aunts and her three older girl cousins.  We stood by her as she had this permanent change made to her body, one that all of us ladies had also endured as babies.  We winced.  We worried. We smiled.  My daughter cried, but was over it in minutes.  I hope the spirit of that day will live on.  She will have many permanent life-altering moments in her future, but she will get through them with the support of some of the most amazing females in her life, and her feminist father.

Team get Catalina's Ear's Pierced



No comments:

Post a Comment