Translate

Friday, December 13, 2013

Lunas I love to the Moon

We were a package deal.
When he married me he got a sister.
My husband and I were talking about how friends sometimes become your family, and how they are special because they are the people you choose as your family.  I started thinking of my best friend Alicia.  I was thinking about how I know I can rely on her if I need to.  I was thinking about how her entire family has embraced me and now they embrace my family.  I wanted to give them a proper Facebook shout out, and as I began typing it I realized I had so much to say that it was more than a status update, it was blog worthy. 

Thank you BFF for letting me into your heart over 20 years ago.  Thank you for picking me as your best friend instead of kicking my ass (a real possibility if you know her). There weren’t very many girls in our neighborhood, but from the get go, we were close.  It was us two ready to take on the hood.  You introduced me to your beautiful family.  You shared your precious mom with me.  She was so worried about me living in Washington, DC after September 11 she sent me a baby Jesus bracelet to watch over me.  I wore it through most of my pregnancy and even through labor.  I refused to take it off.  I let a nurse switch it from one wrist to the other, but I had to wear it.  I needed the protection then more than ever, but more than anything, I needed her close to me.  Thank you for mourning her with me, for sharing your experience with me so that when I lost my mom I had someone who got it.  I know they are in heaven both proud and shocked by our behavior (it depends on the day).  I know they are wondering if maybe they each got the wrong daughter, and I know they wouldn’t trade either of us for anything in the world!

Thank you for sharing the men in your life with me.  Thank you for your dad that can do some serious Sam’s club damage when shopping.  Thanks for sharing the big things of popcorn and mayo with me. Thank you for your husband who long ago set the example of what a good man is and who has welcomed my husband as family too.  Thank you for your brothers.  Nothing makes me smile more than when they introduce me to someone as their “other sister.” Thank you Armando for being protective of me when I was young and for having fun at my wedding.  I know it is tough raising a teenage daughter, but I hope she considers me an aunt and as always, you know I’m here.   Thank you to Juan for being such a wonderful father to his kids.  I have always admired him, and I hope I can be such a genuine loving person as he is.  Also, he raised Samantha who has been my lifesaver as I’m reentering the workforce.  I can think of no one I would feel more comfortable leaving my baby with. 

Thanks for all your nieces and your nephews, because I have watched them grow up and blossom.  Thank you for giving me my only Godson who is truly amazing. 
She was having a baby
& still looked great!
Thank you for your daughter who took forever coming into this world, but when she got here, she immediately changed it with a smile.  Thank you for your cousins, who are my cousins, they watched over me, guided me, and believed in me.  They made me laugh and like you, they even got me into a little trouble sometimes.  I was too good, I needed a little trouble in my life.  Thanks for Erik T. too, because like me he’s been adopted into the family and shares those wonderful memories. 

I love that my daughter will grow up with all of these people as family.  I love that she will learn the true value of friendship, because she will see it in our example.  She will learn that there really is nothing that can compare to a true, loyal, and fun friend. From you, from your daughter, from our mothers, from our bond, she will learn GIRL POWER! 

There is no way I can thank you, for being my sister and friend.  Thank you for your love and support. Thank you for the laughter.  Thank you for standing next to me in the happiest days of my life and for holding me up during the worst days of my life.


I love you hermana!

My Matron of Honor in Life


No comments:

Post a Comment