Translate

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Equality

My hope is that when she is old enough to
understand this picture she will be
confused by why marriage equality
 was even an issue. 

Today, Governor Quinn signed the Religious Freedom & Marriage Fairness Bill making Illinois the 16th state to legalize same sex marriage.  I have gotten some criticism and comments on pushing my beliefs on my baby.  I don’t see it that way.  It isn’t about beliefs it is about core values that I hope to instill in my child.  My husband and I may just be allies, but this law is important to us and our family. 

Catalina drinking her bottle and watching the
Illinois Equal Marriage Bill Signing Ceremony
We are Latinos.  We are judged everyday for our race.  We share a history of separate but equal.  We know prejudice.  We have lived it all too often.  Our daughter will face prejudices, because of her race and her gender.  She naturally has obstacles in her way.  And though I know I cannot protect her from all of these heartbreaking and scary moments, I refuse to accept those obstacles as just the way things are.  It is our duty as parents to expect more of this world for her. 


Today’s bill signing wasn’t about gay or lesbian. Today’s bill signing was about one thing, EQUALITY.  I want my baby girl to grow up in a world that values all people regardless of their color, their gender, religion, or who they love. 
Catalina's Auntie Kell(e)ys getting engaged
(Sometimes family has nothing to do with blood)
I want her to know she deserves to be treated with respect no matter what or how the sometimes-cruel world sees her.  Today was not about instilling my beliefs in my daughter, but about teaching her the value and worth of all human beings.   It is about teaching her about her worth.  It is about acceptance.  It is about love. It is about the core value in our family and the core value that this country was founded on.  All (wo)men are created equal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment