Translate

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Words Matter Part 2

A while back I wrote how Words Matter.  I've always believe in the power of words. Maybe that is why I love to read so much.  In high school, Brother Ruhl (an amazing English teacher) taught me about le mot juste or the perfect word.  I remember my first job out of college I was working on a press release and I spent way too much time on one word.  I wanted to get it right.  I believe in choosing words wisely, because words can be so powerful.  They can empower or break a person down.

As my daughter begins to develop language skills, I find myself even more aware of the importance of word choice. We are cautious of the words we let her hear on television or the radio.  We are careful of the words we teach her, but she goes to school and even as toddlers they learn so much from their peers.

Language is so much of who we are as people.  My mom never allowed us to say the words "shut up" or "stupid." They were the ultimate disrespect.  As an adult in my home, "I can't" is like nails on a chalkboard. We have taught our daughter to say "I need help" instead of "I can't"

What words do you let into your home/life? What words do you leave out?

No comments:

Post a Comment