Translate

Monday, July 22, 2013

A Smile and Two Thumbs Up


Early yesterday morning my great-uncle passed away.  I come from a huge family, and sometimes it is easy to get lost in a big family.   But with my great-uncle, I never felt lost.  I know everyone will take with them their own memories of him.  For me, I will remember his love for family and a good party.  He loved having the extended family get together, family reunions were his thing.  I hope I will remember this value as I start my own family. 

My uncle was sick for some time, and I had avoided going to the hospital.  Understandably, after my mother passed, I don’t do too well with hospitals and terminal illnesses.  I had a conversation with my husband on going to visit him, and I decided that he was on my mind and I wanted to see him.  I understood that there was no way to predict what state I would find him in.  But I knew that he had been good to me, and even if he didn’t recognize me, I could at least keep him company for a bit. 
Tia Maria & Tio Oney
with the Hubby and Me on our Wedding Day!
October 20, 2012

He did recognize me.  In fact, he didn’t want me to leave.  He motioned that he wanted all of the family there.  This was the uncle I knew and loved.  I stayed as long as I could.  I told him that I was pregnant and that I was having a girl.  He wasn’t able to talk, but he gave me two thumbs up and a big smile, both, I know, cost him a lot of energy.  I’m sad that my baby will not get to meet my uncle, but I am glad that even if for just a short time, he knew of her.  I will remember that my baby brought him a smile and two thumbs up at a time when it seemed there was very little to be happy about. 

She is worth a smile and two thumbs up, and so was he.



Wake and Funeral Arraignments:
Uncle Oney Villarreal
Muzyka & Son Funeral Home
5776 W. Lawrence Ave
Chicago, IL 60630
(773) 545-3800
Visitation – Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:00PM-9:00PM
Funeral – Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:30A

No comments:

Post a Comment