Translate

Friday, July 5, 2013

A Shero for Mami & Hija

A book worth reading.

 The Book
The time right after graduating college and before law school started I like to call my “real education.”  I was so thirsty for knowledge having had a great college experience, and I found I suddenly had lots of time to read whatever I wanted.  And I read a lot!  I read about revolution, and I worked on the Hill where I learned why it was so important.  I read about history and culture.  I learned the real history that they don’t teach you in school. 

During this time, I picked up a piece of fiction that changed me.  I read Alisa ValdesThe Dirty Girl Social Club.   The Dirty Girl Social Club is about a group of diverse Latina friends who met in college.   For the first time in my life I read characters I could truly relate to.  Alisa had created characters that were real Latinas and not stereotypes.  I saw my own friends and myself in the Dirty Girls'  characters, only I called them my Hermanas (sisters).    

I never realized the void I had in me.  As a life long reader, I, for the first time EVER and FINALLY, read characters that resembled me. It was amazing and yes, truly life changing.  I began to wonder, what else I wasn’t represented in.  And when I became represented in things, like literature, it had strong meaning to me.  As I become a mother, I am more aware of this.  I hope my daughter will be represented in literature, cartoons, toys, and so much more.  I hope she will never wonder why her dolls don’t have brown hair like her.  I also hope my daughter will have friends like my hermanas and like the characters in this book. 

The Dress 
Photograph Courtesy of Kelly Burke Arce
Flash forward almost 10 years later. I was living with a man, and we wanted to get married.  We had previously set a date, but because of financial reasons we had to postpone.  I was heart broken, but it made sense.  Then in 2011 tragedy struck and we lost someone close to us.  It was a loss we could never fully recover from, but we knew we had to try.  We decided late that summer to set a date.  We had suffered so much heartache and loss, and we needed a reason to celebrate.  Our family needed something positive for once.  We settled on October 20, 2012 and later that day I was bored and excited.  I decided I would go look at bridal magazines at Barnes and Noble to get some ideas.  I was dreading planning a wedding without my mother I had lost her a few years before that.  I was especially dreading shopping for a wedding dress without her.  But I had a wedding to plan, and I needed some ideas so off to Barnes and Noble I was going, but not before checking my Facebook before I left.  I was, of course, a fan of Alisa Valdes and she posted that she had a wedding dress, my size if anyone was interested.  I saw a picture, and thought it was pretty.  I messaged her and asked how much.  She quickly responded that she wanted to give it away.  It was hers from a wedding that didn’t happen and she wanted some good karma from it.  I was in shock, a beautiful, FREE wedding dress, from an author I so much admired?  It had to be too good to be true. 

I emailed her my address, and offered to pay shipping.  Life got busy as it normally does.  We exchanged emails and I didn’t hear much from her until the week before Christmas, when I came home to have a huge box waiting for me.  Inside the box was a beautiful wedding dress.  It was simple and elegant, but even more exciting, it was exactly the dress I would pick out for myself.  It was gorgeous.  Inside was a signed copy of her book The Husband Habit, where she wished my husband-to-be and me happiness.  I could not have asked for a better dress or a better wedding dress story. 
Photograph Courtesy of Kelly Burke Arce

Alisa Valdes helped make me look like a queen on my special day.  She took her negative experience and made it something wonderful for me.  My husband loved the dress, and we had a perfect day. 

The Movie
As if an amazing book that changed my life and a dress that I would wear to begin my life with my husband were not enough, Alisa Valdes has inspired me again.  She was approached by Hollywood big wigs to turn The Dirty Girl Social Club into a show or movie. Unfortunately, there was a disconnect with the executives and the reality of the Latino community. They did not want to remain true to the book or the educated diverse Latina characters.  Instead of giving in to the temptations of a big paycheck, Alisa decided to make this moving on her own.  She has started a Kickstarter campaign to raise the funds for it. 
Kickstarter Fund to Make the Movie

I am confident that she will not only raise the funds, but that she will make an amazing movie.  I imagine someday my daughter and I will watch this movie together.  I hope you will help support her.  You can get more information here: 


Lessons Learned
These are the lessons I’ve learned from the book to the dress to the movie, that I hope to teach my baby girl:

1.   She is beautiful and as a Latina she should be represented in the everyday aspects of life, from the books she reads to toys she plays with

2.    Hermanas are important.  She will need her friends to share her best of times and her worst of times.  I know from experience and so do las Sucias. This is why my daughter will be raised surrounded by many Aunties that are family by choice.

3.    My mom taught me there are angels on earth.  Alisa was an angel for me.  I want my daughter to know that there are real people who are angels and that she too sometimes will be someone’s angel.

4.    She is deserving of a beautiful wedding dress and a prince charming like her daddy.

5.    Sometimes you have to create your own way with a project, especially when you believe in it.  That’s what Alisa Valdes is doing with her movie project. 

6.    When big companies want to take from your art, take your art to the people.  The people will support you.






No comments:

Post a Comment