Translate

Thursday, February 16, 2017

The Mother/Daughter Tree

I'm a week out of my first chemo treatment and I'm struck by the connection between my mother, my daughter and myself.  First, while the treatment hasn't been "that bad," it hasn't been easy by any means.  Like with pregnancy and motherhood, I feel incredibly connected with my mom through this experience.  I only have to do four rounds, her first time, my mom did 9. NINE!!!! Nine months of chemo and side effects. I have no idea how she did it.  While her experience taught me much and probably saved my life, I do not know how she got the strength and the fight and yet, I know where it came from.  It came from her desire to be on this earth as long as she could for her children.  My daughter is my strength.  One minute I might be vomiting and the next I have to be making Valentine's Day cards, because that is what my three year old needs.  That is what she understands and deserves, gifts for her friends, not a sick mom.  There is absolutely no time to feel sorry for myself. 

I am indebted to my mom for her fight and courage and I am indebted to my daughter for her joy and inspiration.  

I imagine that my mom, my daughter and I are all part of a tree.  My mom is the roots, sturdy and strong, keeping us grounded.  She is for the most part unseen, but the rest of the tree wouldn't exist without her.  I am the trunk of the tree, beaming and tall, firmly in place because of my strong roots.  My daughter she is the branches and the leaves.  She is stretched out far and wide for the world to see.  Her limbs reaching for the sky.  She is what makes the tree beautiful.  

The three of us are forever connected in this beautiful life and though I am always me, they are what make me who I am.  They make me whole.



2 comments:

  1. Simply beautiful! I know your Mom looks at you and smiles every day with the same love and pride she has always had. I've seen it with my own two eyes. Keep fighting the good fight, C! I love you ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your post I came to realise that you are doing a wonderful job of helping people through your post and the topic you are choosing to write on is also very innovative and informative. So, keep on doing this job and hope to see more from you in the coming times.
    New Fashion Trends

    ReplyDelete